Frequently Asked Questions from Parents and the Community
- Can I get a Spanish version of the registration form?
Yes. Please contact Ferst Readers at 888-565-0177 or email@example.com.
- How long does it take to get my child registered? When can I expect the first book?
Registrations are entered each month before the next month’s mailing list is pulled. However, that list is be processed and mailed a month later. Books go in the mail the middle of each month. Since they are classified bulk mail, the post office can take as much as two weeks to deliver them to you.
- Does my child have to live in this county?
Ferst Readers programs are organized by county, so a child must register in the county where he/she lives. Call Ferst Readers toll free at 888-565-0177 or visit www.ferstreaders.org to register in a participating county.
- Can the books come to me instead of my grandchild(ren)?
No, the books are addressed to the child and mailed to the child’s home address each month. This allows the child to experience the excitement of receiving his own book in the mail!
- What if my child is not a newborn?
A child can register for the program at any age before their fifth birthday.
- Why aren’t our books here yet?
Our book orders are completed a month in advance to keep the program costs low. Books ordered this month will be mailed next month and children will receive them toward the middle of that month.
- Do you have a website with other county contacts listed?
Yes. You can go to www.CarrollFerst.org to find contacts in Carroll County or to www.FerstReaders.org to find contacts in other parts of the state of Georgia.
- How do I donate money to Ferst Readers?
There are three ways to make a tax-deductible donation:
- Securely Donate Online Here.
- Donate locally in Carroll County by sending a check to: Ferst Readers of Carroll County P. O. Box 1922, Carrollton, GA 30112
- Donate to the statewide foundation by mailing a check to: Ferst Readers P. O. Box 1327, Madison, GA 30650 Note Carroll County on the check and it will get credited to us.
- Can I register my whole Headstart/ daycare/pre-K class?
Yes, of course, but contact us to be sure your community has open registration. Call us at 888-565-0177 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Who chooses the books for the Read to Me Library™ ?
The Ferst Readers has a wonderful book selection committee of early childhood development specialists, librarians, educators, and book publishers that meet once per year to select books that are age-appropriate for children ages birth to five.
- I wrote a book for children. Can you add it to the Read to Me Library™?
Unfortunately, we are not able to add titles that are not currently available from our publishers.
- Can I register a child over the phone?
Yes. Please call us at 888-565-0177 or, to process your request quicker, please register your child online at www.ferstreaders.org.
- Do we accept registration from non-parents?
We prefer that registration is completed by the parent or legal guardian. However, we realize situations arise when this is not always possible so we encourage you to instruct them to make sure the parent is aware that a free book will be arriving soon from Ferst Readers.
- Where do I refer parents from neighboring counties?
Please send them to the Ferst Readers website at www.FerstReaders.org or have them call us at 888-565-0177.
- My county doesn’t have the Ferst Readers Literacy program. Can I just pay for my child to be in the program?
Yes. Please contact us at 888-565-0177 or email@example.com to learn how to sponsor your child (or another child to receive free books).
- We are moving. How do I notify Ferst of my change of address?
As long as you file a change of address with the Post Office, we will receive the change. If not, call Ferst Readers at 888-565-0177.